Rating Scales Best Practices: The conventional wisdom may not always be wise
Jeff Sauro, PhD, and Jim Lewis, PhD
Wednesday, April 29th, 2020
10:00 AM MDT / 9:00 AM PDT
Rating scales are ubiquitous. But so it seems are “best practices on what you should and shouldn’t do with rating scales. It can be hard to separate scientific and research-based findings versus just conventions that are followed or myths that are perpetuated. In this webinar Jeff Sauro, PhD and Jim Lewis, PhD will address several common questions about rating scale usage for UX research and provide guidance based on the research.
Topics covered will include:
- How many points should you use?
- Are three points enough?
- Should you always label your rating scale points?
- How much does country/region matter?
- Should you have a neutral point and should you label it?
- Should you use a mix of positive and negative items in a questionnaire?
Jeff and Jim will review the results of dozens of studies conducted by MeasuringU and summarize the published literature to highlight areas you should be concerned about and other areas where differences in rating scale formats don’t matter much.